The Student News Site of Sonora High School

The Prowl

Goodbye High School, Hello New Beginnings

Phoebe Nelson and Cynthia Rodriguez

What is felt when thinking about the years that are to come after high school are different for everyone? Whether that be excited, fearful, confused, to name a few, here at Sonora High, seniors are feeling one or more of these emotions with their upcoming graduation day on June 8th.

Some plan on going straight to a University, while others take the road to a Community College. Others plan on taking part in the Military, but some students want to take a gap year to either work, or figure out what to do next.

No matter what the choices are everyone here at SHS are, proud to send off their senior class of 2017.

Here are a few seniors we got some answers from.

Luis Uriostegui

Your strength is defined by your rise after your falls” – unknown

Luis plans on going to community college, and is nervous for his upcoming independent years.

“I want to have a career in Film and work on high budget movies like the ones in Hollywood,” said Uriostegui

Kelsey Gladysz

“It’s Never Too Late” – unknown

Kelsey plans on going to a community college after high school, and is excited for her future.

“I want to go into nursing, because it has been my passion for well over a few years,” said Gladysz

Jose Uriostegui

“The lord is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.” – Psalm 118:4

Jose is excited to attend Community College while working after high school.

“I want to become a real estate agent because I really the enjoy the business side,” said Uriostegul.

Layne Trotter

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”- Arthur C. Clarke

Layne plans on going into the military after high school, and is nervous for the years to come.

“I don’t want to go to college right away,” said Trotter. “I’m going the military and then in a few years I will go to the college,” said Trotter.

Gwenevier Hunter

Nothing worth having comes easily.” – unknown

Gwenevier plans on attending community college and then possibly transferring to a University. She is unsure about how she feels about her independent years coming up.

“I plan to go to college for an accumulative 8 years, to become a trauma surgeon. I love to help people, and I am very interested in emergency medicine,” said Hunter.

Aimee Hill

“Love Never Dies.”- Unknown.

Aimee is unsure about how she feels about her independent years coming up but she plans on attending community college.

“I plan to get job training through Columbia College to become a barista through their Apprenticeship Initiative Program. I want to become a barista because I went through a really rough patch and all motivation was gone. I began drinking coffee and it filled me with energy, and with that energy I was able to regain my motivation. I want to give people the opportunity of experiencing a similar thing,” said Hill.

Julian Meza

“If you want great success in your life, you do not wait for it to come to you, you look for it and go after it.” – unknown

Julian plans on attending community college, and is excited to see what is in store for him in the future.

“I’m not sure what I want to do in the future,” said Meza. “But I want to go to school in hopes of finding something that I want to do for the rest of my life.”

Janeese Valenzuela

“Be a pineapple: Stand tall, wear a crown, and be sweet on the inside.” – unknown

Janeese is planning on going to community college and is excited for independency in the future.

“I would like to attend the nursing program at Columbia because I have had a strong interest in being a nurse since I was little,” said Valenzuela.

Matthew Tarantino

“What I’ve learned is that a great love is a lot like a good memory. When it’s there, and you know it’s there, but it’s all you think about. and you can focus on it and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. but if you’re patient, and you hold still, well maybe, just maybe, it’ll come to you.” – Unknown.

Matthew plans on attending community college and work as he leaves high school. However; he is still confused on what to do as his independent years come up.

“I’d like to become a therapist and a animal trainer/rescuer,” said Matthew.

Ben Comer

“The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” – Confucius

After high school, Ben is excited to see what is next, and plans on going to community college and working.

“I’d like to become a certified Caterpillar Technician for their power generation division due to my enjoyment of working with my hands,” said Comer.

Natalie Hawks

Natalie is excited on attending Community College after high school, then transferring to a UC to pursue physical therapy.

“I want to attend Columbia for two years and then transfer to a UC, where I plan to pursue a degree in Physical Therapy,” said Hawks.

Havilah Plaster

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13

Havilah is planning on going to community college, and is excited to see what her future will be.

“I would like to become a Social Worker so I can foster children and take them out of bad situations when they deserve better,” said Plaster.

Brian Wong

Be mindful of what you care about.” – unknown.

Brian plans on attending a university after high school to become a general physician.

“I would like to become a general physician, because I like all the perks that come with it, and I get the added bonus of helping people in a unique way,” said Wong.

Brian says he feels regretful of his independent years approaching because he feels like he could have done more with his time while attending Sonora High.

“I feel regretful, because I could have done so much more with my time here at SHS,” said Wong.

Jessi McClenahan

“Sometimes when things seem to be falling apart, they may actually be falling into place.” – unknown

Jessi is unsure of how she feels about the future, but she is looking forward to community college.

“I would like to be a  preschool teacher and eventually coach high school cheer because I love working with children,” said McClenahan

Sean Griswold

“Common sense is a set of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.” – Albert Einstein.

Sean is planning on working after school, and is unsure on how he feels about his independent years approaching.

“I want to work in the game industry because I want to create things that people can enjoy,” said Griswold.

Robert Van Noord

Time abides long enough for those who make use of it.” – Leonardo Da Vinci.

Robert is excited about attending University after he graduates. He plans on studying animation.

“I would like to become an animator and make both 2D and 3D movies, and art for video games,” said Noord.

Bradyn  Da Costa Pendergast

“Stop being a prisoner of your past and become the architect of your future.” – Robert Sharma.

Bradyn plans on working and attending the Universal Technical Institute, and he is excited to see what the future has in store.

“I want to be a collision and body repair technician,” said Pendergast.

Brendyn M. Clark

Once you get through high school, everything else will suck much more.” – unknown.

Brendyn is excited on working as a firefighter and becoming a paramedic after high school.

“Fight fires and work on the ambulance as a paramedic too,” said Clark.

Nick Konklin

It is what it is” – unknown.

Nick is plans on attending Community College after graduating, along with working. He is excited about going into the firefighting industry.

“I plan on going into firefighting after high school,” said Konklin.

Michael Bunk

“Speak softly but carry a big stick.” – Teddy Roosevelt.

Michael will be going to community college, and is fearful, yet excited for his future.

“I want to be apart of Emergency Medical Services, because  I want to help people.” said Bunk.

Nina Smith

“Work hard and you can achieve anything.” – unknown.

Nina is still unsure about life after high school but plans on attending Community College after high school and pursuing a career in nursing.

“I would like to be a nurse because I like to help people,” – said Smith.

Katana Helene Pullen

“Grades don’t measure intelligence, and age doesn’t define maturity.” – unknown.

Katana plans on attending community college, and she is excited for her future.

“I would like to pursue a nursing career, because I’ve always had the aspirations of being a nurse,” said Pullen.

Dalton Butow

“Only look down on somebody when you’re helping them up.” – unknown.

Dalton is excited for his future, and is looking forward to attending community college.

“I would like to be a paramedic firefighter because it pays well and I get to help people of the community,” said Butow.

Casey Paz

“Never be afraid to chase your dreams.” – unknown.

Casey is planning on going to community college, and is undecided on how he feels about his approaching independent years.

“I would like to go into the water treatment field,” said Paz.

Cody Jinks

“I’ll make you proud dad.” – Cody Jinks.

Cody plans on working right out of highschool, and is excited for his quickly approaching independent years.

“I want to go into the blacksmith business,” said Jinks.

Abel Rosas

Just Keep Swimming – Dory.

Abel plans on going to community college for two years, and then is transferring to a university after that. He is excited to see what the future has in store.

“In college I want to Major in Mechanical Engineering,” said Rosas.

Chad Bates

“Don’t procrastinate” – unknown.

Chad is excited for his future, and attending community college after high school is apart of that.

“As of right now, I do not know yet what I want to do,” said Bates.

Marshall Dilley

“Death is not the worst thing that can’t happen to you, not living up to your potential is the worst thing that can happen to you.” – unknown.

Marshall is planning on joining the military, and is excited to see what his future will consist of.

“I would like to retire from the military or law enforcement,” said Dilley.

Jerimiah Smail

“Dont quit.” – unknown.

Jerimiah plans on attending trade school, and is nervous for is upcoming future.

“I want to go to lineman school,” said Smail.

Garret Sholer

“Every action has a consequence, weather it’s negative or positive you must accept them.” – unknown.

Garret is going to join the army, and is excited for what the future has in store.

“I want to be a paramedic because I love helping people and it’s good money,” said Sholer.

Megan Popovich

Don’t change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love you.” – unknown.

Megan in planning on attending a university, and is excited for her future.

“I would like to work with Recreation and Tourism,” said Popovich.

Jakob Azevedo

“I’ve been doing this for my Papa, my Grandpa, and my future family.” – Unknown.

Out of all the emotions somebody can feel, Jacob feels all of the above about life after high school where he plans on enlisting into the military.

“Military as a Master of Arms, then work in the State Pen. to get state and federal retirement,” said Azevedo.

David MacDonald

“The man who has no imagination has no wings.” – Muhammad Ali.

David in between the emotion of excitement and nervousness about his independent years after high school. However; he plans on attending community college to study business and become a professional athlete.

“I would like to open my own business in photography and become an olympic athlete after college,” said Macdonald.

Iris Barnes

balance is key.” – Unknown.

Iris is fearful about her independent years approaching but plans on working first before making any decisions.

“I want make money so i can survive,” said Barnes.

Shelby Frame

“go big or go home” – Eliza Dushku.

Shelby is excited to begin her independent years as she will attending community college and study business.

“ I want to study business after high school,” said Frame.

Hannah Harris

“Once a Wildcat, Always a Wildcat” – unknown.

Hannah plans on attending community college, and is nervous to start her independent years.

“I want to become a Physical Therapist because I want to be able to help others,” said Harris.

Cameren Ambrose

“There is no such thing as a job good enough, there are jobs complete and there are jobs not yet done” – Cameren Ambrose.

Cameren is excited for his upcoming independent years, and is planning on working right out of high school.

“I would like to be in charge of bids in the flooring industry,” said Ambrose.

Amanda Mena

“When the going gets tough the tough gets tougher.” – unknown.

Amanda plans on attending community college, and is excited for her upcoming independent years.

“I want to go into the Agriculture Business and Administration field,” said Mena.

Nathen Miles

“God grant me the Serenity for the things I can not change, the Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference.” – Reinhold Niebuhr.

Nathen is planning on working after high school, and is nervous for his nearing future.

“I would like to be able to get into a trade not work in an office,” said Miles. “I want to be able to provide for my family.

Blake Dolman

“Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?” – unknown.

Blake is excited for his upcoming future, and after high school, he is planning on joining the military.

“I would rather go to a trade school,” said Dolman.

Romeo Crownover

“Never give up because all of that effort will pay out soon.” – unknown.

Romeo is unsure whether or not he wants to work or attend community college after high school.

“If I do go to college, I think I would like to take classes for an Auto tech class or filmography classes,” Crownover.

Trevor Mills

“If your not first you’re last.” – Jeff Rich.

Trevor is nervous about beginning adulthood after graduation, but plans on working and attending community college to pursue a career in glass.

“I want to begin my career in glass, my dad already does glass and I want to follow in his footsteps,” said Mills.

Colton Castro

Colton is nervous about where his life will go after high school but plans on working after he graduates.

“ I plan on beginning a career with a good retirement to ensure I can support my future children,” said Castro.

Cassandra Barajas

“The medical field is hard but never let that stop you, you can do it, have faith and it will led you in the right direction.”  – Unknown.

Cassandra is nervous about the independent years she will face in the near future but plans on attending community college where she will study to become a Respiratory Therapist.

“I want to become Respiratory Therapist because after job shadowing Respiratory Therapist this year through the Health Careers program what they do fascinated me,” said Barajas.

Bryan Thomas

“There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge” – unknown.

Bryan is excited about working after high school. He plans on working with PG&E.

“I want to work for pg&e cause they make a lot of money,” said Thomas.

Tyler Vanderwiel

“If he don’t break bread he fake, I got one more buck on my plate, it was me and bro, we was in the store, both of us got 50 cent cake.” – unknown.

Tyler is excited on enlisting into the military and working into joining the firefighting industry.

“I want to work and become firefighter, it’s fun job with good money,” said Vanderwiel.

Joseph Montelongo

“No matter what you do in life, have fun with it.” – unknown.

Joseph will attend community college in the fall and is excited about working to earn his major in Fire Science.

“I’m going to major in Fire Science and play baseball as long as I can in College,” said Montelongo.

Hunter Ducoty

“Take pride in what you do.” – unknown.

Hunter is excited to begin working after he graduates and plans on working as a heavy equipment operator.

“After high school i want to work in operating heavy equipment in the construction field,” said Ducoty.

Benjamin Leija

“The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you think you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, Me, or Nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you can hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!” -Rocky Balboa.

Benjamin is excited for his independent years approaching as he wants to enlist into the military after he graduates and also become a Peace Officer.

“I would like to become a Peace Officer or Paramedic because I like helping people,” said Leija.

Garrett Croston

“Just Graduate” – unknown.

Garrett feels mutual about adulthood approaching, but plans on attending community college.

“I want to work in the forest or the NFL,” said Croston.

Carly Olvera

“Everything changes, no matter how much you want it to stay the same.” – unknown.

Carly plans on attending community college after high school, and is nervous for her upcoming independent years.

“I would like to be an art teacher for high school or to be a self employed artist,” said Olvera. “I want to have a career in to arts because I am an artist and I find it very enjoyable. I can express my true thoughts and feelings in what I draw or paint and I want more people to experience that feeling.”