The Student News Site of Sonora High School

The Prowl

The Time I Forgot my Luggage in Kansas City, Kansas

IN THE SKY
A picture captured above the clouds. Southwest airplane just took off into the sky. With some turbulence, the ride was smooth and the views were stunning.

Haley Fiedler

IN THE SKY A picture captured above the clouds. Southwest airplane just took off into the sky. With some turbulence, the ride was smooth and the views were stunning.

Haley Fiedler, Editor-In-Chief

It is 2:40 in the afternoon. I walk through the smell of coffee wafting from inside San Francisco International Airport and hear many voices socializing as people wait for their flights.

People scurry to board their plane with their carry-on bags and computers, making sure everything is where it  needs to be.

When my family boarded our 2:45 p.m. flight with Southwest Airline, we were ushered to our seats and waited for everyone else to board the plane as well. Flight attendants were patient and helpful to everyone seated.

“I have been flying for 26 years,” said one of the flight attendants. “I get to travel for free and it works well with my personal schedule.”

Our flight had one other stop to make in San Diego before we reached our destination. After that stop and plane transfer was made, we began to take off for Kansas City, Kansas.

8:20 p.m.

I grabbed my luggage from baggage claim. Due to trouble with our rental cars, my family and I waited for other family members to arrive, also flying to Kansas while waiting to be picked up from the airport.

It was now 10:00 p.m and word was announced over the intercom that the flight we had been waiting for had touched down.

10:25 p.m.

After excited ‘hellos’ and smiles were exchanged amongst family, we were soon on our way to the house we were going to be staying in.

It was a 40 minute drive to get into downtown Kansas City, but my family stopped at a local Walmart to pick up groceries.

I wanted to quickly change my shoes for a more comfortable walk in the store. I go to  the back of the car and open the trunk. My luggage was not there. My heart dropped. I rummaged through all the luggages, but to no avail. It did not magically appear.

THE A.M.

*Ring. Ring. ‘San Francisco International Airport.’*

‘Hi, my name is Haley Fiedler and I was just at C1 baggage claim and I accidentally left my luggage behind, near a bench. I was wondering if you could check to see if it is there?’

After several ‘let me transfer you’ responses, I received a call from the airport with an answer.

‘Miss Fiedler we found your luggage. We’ll keep it here for you.’

I was overwhelmed with relief and joy that all of my clothes, shoes, necessities, makeup, etc, was not lost or stolen.

The next morning I picked up my luggage and was happy to have all of my belongings.

As the night turned into early morning I had learned a valuable lesson: always watch your things or else you might just carry around extra baggage on your shoulders.