The Student News Site of Sonora High School

The Prowl

Weird Laws

Annie McCallister, Design Editor

Laws are defined as a system of rules recognized as regulating the actions of its members and may be enforced by penalties. Most of the time, it is pretty easy to understand why they are necessary. However, some laws are ridiculous or downright silly.

For example, in a small community in Oregon named Marion, it is illegal to walk backwards down the street while eating a donut.

In Arizona, it is illegal for a donkey to sleep in a bathtub. Maybe they should take a nap in North Dakota instead – as long as they’re not wearing shoes, that is. It’s illegal for anyone in North Dakota to fall asleep with shoes on at any time.

There is also a town in New Mexico named Las Cruces, where carrying a lunchbox down mainstreet could end up on a criminal record.

What about here in California? Surely there are some questionable laws here as well.

If you live in Los Angeles, it is illegal to wear a “zoot suit” in public. In Dana Point, it is illegal to use your own bathroom with the window open. In San Francisco, a vehicle is the only thing permitted to be stored in a garage.

Most of these laws are probably too bizarre for you to accidentally break, but maybe next time you will think twice before eating an orange in the bathtub.   

• Bingo games cannot last more than 5 hours (North Carolina)
  • Chickens are not allowed to cross the road (Quitman, Georgia)
  • If you cut down a cactus, you could be sentenced to 25 years in prison (Arizona)
  • Policemen are allowed to bite a dog if they think it will calm the dog down (Paulding, Ohio)
  • It’s illegal to sell your eyeballs (Texas)
  • It’s against the law to sing off-key (North Carolina)
  • You may not sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday (Rhode Island)
  • You are not allowed to eat fried chicken any other way than using your hands (Gainesville, Georgia)
  • Marriage between cousins is against the law only if they are younger than 65 (Utah)
  • It’s forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (Carrizozo, New Mexico)
  • Bear wrestling matches are prohibited (Alabama)
  • You may not take a picture of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit (Wyoming)
  • You cannot buy meat of any kind on Sunday (Washington)
  • It’s illegal to attend a public event or use public transport within 4 hours of eating an onion or garlic (Indiana)
  • In San Antonio, flirting is against the law (Texas)
  • It’s illegal for a man to give his fiancé a box of candy that weighs more than 50 lbs (Idaho)
  • A motorist with criminal intentions must stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town (Washington)
  • If you are found stealing soap, you must wash yourself until the bar of soap has been completely used up (Arizona)
  • If you have mustaches, it’s illegal for you to kiss a woman (Eureka, Nevada)
  • It’s against the law for a woman to drive a car in Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag (Waynesboro, Virginia)
  • You can be arrested or fined for harassing Bigfoot (Washington)
    Source