The Student News Site of Sonora High School

The Prowl

H2O is the Way to Go: Sonora High Swim Wins League

SONORA HIGH SWIMMERS ARE THE UNDEFEATED WINNERS.
On Friday, April 28th, the Sonora swimmers dove into first place at the Motherlode League Championships, allowing them to remain undefeated. Eleven of Sonora’s swimmers will also be moving on to sections. Head coach Josh Martin displayed excitement over both of the teams’ wins. “Both teams did excellent at the meet in Friday, both winning the league meet and becoming league champions!” said Martin. “We had some great swims and we couldn't be more proud of their effort.”
Emma Corcoran, a junior at Sonora High School, expressed her love for the sport and the close friendships on the team. “We obviously did well; we won league,” said Corcoran. “I like the camaraderie on the team, and I just have always liked swimming and being in the water.”

SONORA HIGH SWIMMERS ARE THE UNDEFEATED WINNERS. On Friday, April 28th, the Sonora swimmers dove into first place at the Motherlode League Championships, allowing them to remain undefeated. Eleven of Sonora’s swimmers will also be moving on to sections. Head coach Josh Martin displayed excitement over both of the teams’ wins. “Both teams did excellent at the meet in Friday, both winning the league meet and becoming league champions!” said Martin. “We had some great swims and we couldn't be more proud of their effort.” Emma Corcoran, a junior at Sonora High School, expressed her love for the sport and the close friendships on the team. “We obviously did well; we won league,” said Corcoran. “I like the camaraderie on the team, and I just have always liked swimming and being in the water.”

Monica Hawks

Monica Hawks

Kaarina Thompson and Natalie Hawks

Monica Hawks
SWIMS N’ SMILES.
Emma Corcoran, sophomore Gail DeGregorio, and junior Levi Houghton pose for a picture in between races. “Swimming is an awesome sport,” said Houghton. “Partially because I’ve been doing it for a long time, and partially because it just gives you time to reflect on your day and what you’ve been doing. It’s some good mental stabilization time.” Houghton competed in several races on Friday, getting a few personal records as well. “I was supposed to swim the 200 medley and the 200 free, 100 back, and 4×100 freestyle,” said Houghton. “But due to some miscommunication, we were not able to swim the 200 medley relay.” Despite the minor miscommunication, Houghton will still be moving on to sections for the 200 freestyle and the 500 meter freestyle.

Mica Van Noord
JUST KEEP SWIMMING.
Freshman Emily Van Noord, races to the finish in the 100 meter breaststroke. Van Noord had a successful race and will be moving onto sections for this event and for the 200 meter medley. When reflecting on her swim season, Van Noord feels content as she has achieved all of her personal goals for her first year on the high school swim team. “I’ve made my goal to qualify for sections, and getting a 1st place in the MML meet,” said Van Noord. “One of my goals was to make the top 10 list for the 100 breaststroke and I made it with a best time of 1:14.15.” Van Noord spoke positively of the support given by her coaches and teammates. “I think the best thing about being on the team is the coaches and spending time with the other swimmers,” she said. “The coaches really just want you to succeed and do it in a way that makes you feel good about your time.”

Monica Hawks
MAKING A SPLASH.
After discovering the results of the successful meet, the swimmers celebrated by pushing their coaches, Josh Martin and John Jay Verheul, into the pool. “It’s a tradition,” said Robby Van Noord, a senior at Sonora High. “When a team wins league, you push your coach in the pool. We followed my coaches very closely after they announced the winners and made sure their pockets were empty.” Head coach Josh Martin also added commentary regarding the playful spirits that his swimmers have everyday. “Some of my favorite memories have been all of the daily shenanigans that happen during 6th period,” he said.

Mica Van Noord
SPEEDY SENIORS.
The swim team’s seniors, Dalton Hansten, Josie Personius, Trevor Mills, Robby Van Noord, and Sammie Slater pose for a picture with their coaches, Josh Martin and John Jay. “The team as a whole did amazing,” said Van Noord. “I am very proud of all the teammates that worked so hard to get us to where we are this season.” Hansten, Mills, Van Noord, and Slater will all be moving on to sections for personal events and relay teams. Coach Josh Martin also praised the team for their hard work and dedication throughout the entire season. “The team has been doing great all season,” said Martin. “They have been putting in a lot of hours and yards, with two practices a day and Saturday practices; it has paid off. The team was able to stay undefeated all year by working extremely hard. Both teams wrote down their team goals at the beginning of the year and they were dedicated to their mission and pulled through phenomenally.”