The Student News Site of Sonora High School

The Prowl

On Your Marks….Get Set….BANG!

NEW HORIZONS. Long distance runner, Kaarina Thompson, focuses on winning her race. “Nothing really goes through my head,” said Thompson. ”I just focus on completing my event in a good time frame.” Taking on unfamiliar territory, she shakes things up running the 400-meter dash; however, despite the change, she ran a time of 1:14, taking seventh overall.

Senor Garcia

Isaiah MacDonald, Reporter

Senor Garcia
UNDER COVER. Sonora sets up camp at the top of the bleachers at Summerville High School. Bearing bad weather and strong winds, runners bundle up to fight the cold. As the rain comes and goes, events are ending as soon as they begin. While sporting a CROSS COUNTRY tent, the team scores a total of 105 points overall. Most of the athletes have events that take place later in the day, so they are out in the rain and cold winds part of their night. “We were lucky to have the Bobby Rapp tent for the bad weather,” said Coach Garcia. “This has been the first track season in a while with bad weather.”

Senor Garcia
UP AND OVER: Coleton Sanguinetti places first with a personal record of 18.93 seconds in the Varsity 110 meter hurdles. He has been involved in track for three years and strives to be a great pole vaulter and hurdler. “Getting 18.93 seconds feels good and bad,” said Sanguinetti. “Bad because of the time; good because of the PR.” One of his biggest inspirations is Ty Harvey, an old Sonora High graduate. “Harvey holds the school record so beating that would be great,” said Sanguinetti. Coleton earns many compliments from his fellow teammates, but not as many as Coach Garcia gives him. “I’d like everyone to know their event well, perform well, and look like they know what they are doing,” said Garcia. “Hopefully it will prepare them to be comfortable in their individual events.”

Senor Garcia
UP, UP, AND AWAY. Junior, Caitlin Baker, vaults into the air for her event. This is her first year competing in track, and she was inspired by Coleton to do pole vaulting. She vaulted six feet, six inches. “I usually jump higher, but it felt good to get that high,” said Baker. The other events she is involved in are the 400 meter dash and the 200 meter dash.