The Student News Site of Sonora High School

The Prowl

Cats Spring Their way to Success

WATER YOU DOING. Swimmers hear the ever so common, “swimmers take your marks” and fly through the air following a booming horn, only to begin their 100-meter march. Sonora had two swimmers in this race: Levi Houghton and Hayden Tolbert, both rocking green and blue tie-dye speedos. Levi set a personal record for the 100-meter race, earning a 52.6 second time; Levi has only received one loss this year, and it was to his teammate, Dalton Hansten. The event took place Friday, Apr. 21, and Sonora would go home with zero races lost. “It was a good performance, and we had a nice pool to race and good weather conditions,” said Levi Houghton.

Kellen Phillips

Kellen Phillips and Brett Stewart

Kellen Phillips
TAKE YOUR MARKS. Ladies get set on the starting blocks to jump into the pool and replace their teammates in the relay race. The Sonora girls were victorious in both the 200 and 400-meter relay races and have had a successful year swimming. Maggie Sanchez stated the girls have been swimming their best this year and are on track to win the MLL. Sonora’s boys and girls swim squads seem to be taking the league by storm and finishing the season strong. “We are pretty confident in what we have done this year,” said Sanchez.

Kellen Phillips
OFF THEY GO. The men are in mid action stroke after stroke until they finish the race. This is one of the many races Sonora would come out triumphant. Connor McCluskey said that the team’s great success directly correlates to the rigorous practices after school and in the morning. All the time practicing has built strong relationships as a group, allowing each other to thrive as a whole. “We have grown a lot as a team this year, and I think that those bonds help to push each other and push the team as a whole to success,” said McCluskey.